Beef can be easily cooked into a delicious meal without having that much ingredients. You can easily make steak with only salt and pepper to taste. This is because beef itself is already packed with enough fat to cook itself, which gives it that meaty distinct flavor. That is why the United States of America is the top producer of beef in the whole world. Surprisingly enough, they are not the top consumers of beef in the world. The country that consumes the most beef per year would be Luxembourg. They consume an average of 300 lbs of beef per person a year, now that is a lot of beef.
Beef is a type of meat that can be cooked using a grill, oven, stove, steam, frying and almost virtually any type of cooking style you want to cook it with. This versatility has led so many countries to choose it over pork, not to mention it has a high level of protein as well. The high content of protein found in beef is the reason why it is celebrated in most of the countries for many years. Many beef cuts can be enjoyed through different cooking styles.
In order to make beef interesting, the world has come up with so many recipes that can easily change the mood, from steak or even to a pot roast. One of the most celebrated beef recipes today would be the bean sprout rolled beef recipe.
- 5 ¼ ounces of beef round sliced
- 2/3 pound bean sprouts
- 8 small pickled Japanese plums
- 16 Perilla leaves
- 1/3 ounce spikenard
- 8 bamboo leaves
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Japanese rice wine (sake)
- 1 tbsp sweetened sake (the ones used for cooking)
- 3/8 cup of vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Take the beef and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Take your bean sprouts and remove the threadlike root from them. Boil in a pot for one minute and drain properly.
- Open the beef slices and place the Perilla leaves. Now you need to arrange the bean sprouts over them and roll the beef up. The ingredients make approximately four rolls.
- Preheat oven to 460 degrees and grill the beef in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to brush with the marinade during grilling, twice or thrice.
- Now, pare the spikenard, cut it into cubes, and place in the sugar-vinegar mixture.
- Cut the beef rolls about ¾ inch wide, garnish with spikenard and picked plums before serving.
Bean sprout rolled beef is a great way to experience beef on a different level. Perfect for those days in which you want to change the serving style of beef. People are always looking for ways in order to change the way they eat beef, this is one great way of changing the monotonous ways of eating beef. This recipe is perfect for a family of four.
Linda Rosario is a food enthusiast from Chef Needs “The Kitchen that Every Restaurant Needs”. Linda also loves arts and crafts and works as a pre-school teacher.