Spices serve people for thousands of years. They improve the taste, smell and also the appearance of our food. In addition, there are different active substances in spices, which have the ability of suppressing the growth of bacteria and are also a catalyst to a number of processes in the human body.
Spices may be used both separately and in a mixture with other spices. You can use them either in some standard compositions prepared in certain proportions or you can experiment in order to make your own mixtures according to your personal taste. The mixtures of spices give your dishes piquancy and flavour, but you can also use them when baking and preparing different cakes and biscuits.
And last, but not least, herbs and spices can bring great taste to any of your dishes, but they also have many health benefits. With the constantly growing interest towards organic foods, herbs and spices are gaining more and more attention due to their ability to reduce inflammation, risk of cancer, heart diseases and other health problems. Therefore, experts advise us not to ignore these natural products but use as many of their beneficial effects as we actually can.
Seven simple rules when using some spices
1. The first general rule when using some spices is not overdo them.
2. Second, if you are going to use a mixture of spices, do not mix more than three at a time.
3. When you are using a mixture of spices, it is important their tastes and flavours to be complementary. Do not let one dominate another.
4. The main principle of combining spices is used even from the greatest chefs in the world. Try to create one dominant flavour, then another one that complements it, and then a third – more “mass” background.
5. How should you combine green herbs and spices? Usually, more herbs and green spices are “tolerant” to each other. However, one of the best combinations you can try is a combination of basil, oregano and thyme.
6. How should you combine sweet spices? When it comes to the so-called “sweet” spices, the most used ones are cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and clove. It is also useful for you to know that black pepper makes the sweet taste stand out.
7. How should you combine hot spices? When it comes to hot spices, you better watch out for the amount you are using, because your goal is not to make one of them dominate the overall taste of your dishes.
What are the most appropriate spices when cooking different dishes?
As a common rule, there are some spices that are considered more appropriate than other when it comes to certain dishes. For example, herbs and spices that are suitable for cooking some fish do not match vegetable dishes. That is why it is important for you to know what the best spices for your dishes are.
- Spices you should use when cooking soups
When cooking a meat soup you should use garlic, onion, mint, parsley, black pepper, savory, allspice, bay leaf. When cooking a vegetable soup a good idea is to use spices such as mint, parsley, celery, lovage, black pepper and yarrow. When preparing a fish soup you should use black and red pepper, onion, basil, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, bay leaf and lovage. When cooking a pea/bean soup, a great idea is to choose onion, red and black pepper, coriander, fennel, mint, lovage, basil, bay leaf, nutmeg, savory. And last, but not least, when preparing a mushroom soup, some of the best spices you can choose from are: onion, garlic, white, red and black pepper, cumin, parsley and basil.
- Spices you should use when cooking roasted meat
When roasting some meat, you can use a great variety of spices – onion, parsley, celery, white, black and red pepper, bay leaf, cumin, mint, garlic, anise, tarragon, nutmeg, juniper, clove.
- Spices you should use when cooking chicken
The best spices you can use when cooking chicken are white, black and red pepper, caraway, clove, ginger, nutmeg, basil, thyme and soy sauce.
- Spices you should use when cooking fish
When you prepare fish dishes, you may use onion, garlic, bay leaf, fennel, white or black pepper, parsley, basil, rosemary, coriander, and cumin.
- Spices you should use when preparing home-made sweets, cakes, etc.
Bakery is a tricky business, so you should use the proper spices in order to make your cakes and sweets taste fantastic. Here are the main spices you should use: cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, geranium, nutmeg, oregano, peppermint, ginger, cardamom, allspice, coriander, poppu and sesame seeds.
Author Bio: Margaret Donney is entrepreneur and cook. She loves to manager her se2 cleaning services company and to experiment in the kitchen in order to reach the perfection.